Summer is near and vacations are everywhere but eating healthy during road trips or as you travel is really a struggle and can be a great challenge. We cannot deny the fact that whenever we hear about road trips and travel, we often think about junk foods, canned goods, sodas and fast foods in terms of food and drinks. You may think that it is the most convenient but keep in mind that it is very unhealthy.
Always remember that whenever you travel for business, work, vacation or whatever reason, you can find some simple, easy and effective strategies so you can eat healthy on the go.
Travelling comes with planning and planning includes the food that you should bring or you should eat as you hit the road. Planning is very important because, without it, you will end up eating unhealthy foods especially those foods that can be accessed easily. During the trip, you will have no access to your kitchen so you have to make some preparations ahead of time.
If you are conscious about your health then there will be a lot of food choices to pack-up that you can eat on the go. Planning can go a long way when it comes to healthy food. You have to pack smart. You have to know where you are going and how long it will take to get there so you will be able to prepare enough healthy food with you.
If you will pack healthy foods that will not be enough for the trip, the tendency is you will have a possibility to buy food that can be accessed easily and most of these foods are the unhealthy ones and you really have to go for it if you will have no choice.
Fill you travel bag with foods most especially snacks and easy to go meals that you can eat while on the road. If you plan ahead of time, you will be able to prepare the healthy kinds of food. Avoiding unhealthy foods on the trip can be difficult but it will not be as difficult as it is if you already have packed up the healthy food for your consumption.
Here are some examples of healthy snacks and food that you can pack up and eat as you go on that trip.
You can have your whole grain or whole wheat bread together with your high protein meat, mustard, and vegetables. A sandwich is a type of food that is easy to prepare and travel with.
- Vegetables and fruits
Slice your fruits and vegetables so it can serve as your finger foods or snacks on the road. These foods can make you feel full while at the same time you are eating healthy. These can be your substitute for junk foods. Aside from that, you can also make fresh fruit or vegetable juices ahead of time so you can drink healthy along the way.
- Protein rich foods
Road trips can make you feel hungry most of the time and the answer to this satisfaction is protein. These foods include almonds, hard boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt, and energy bars.
- Avoid sodas!
Most of us would love to pack up sodas to drink on the road, but if you just want to eat and drink healthy then you will not consider bringing sodas with you. Soft drinks also are known as sodas are a form of liquid refreshment that contains mainly of carbonated water, flavoring and sweetener and other ingredients. It is non-alcoholic and can be served cold or warm.
If you want to drink do not consider soda as one of it. Sip your way through these alternative beverages that quench your thirst and are healthy for you. You can prepare these drinks ahead of time.
- Water-It flushes out toxins, boost the immune system, promotes weight loss, improves skin complexion, aids in digestion and much more.
- Coffee- Some people love coffee. Sugarless coffee reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases and other inflammatory diseases. It has caffeine, chlorogenic acid few of the chemical compounds in coffee that helps in losing weight, increase in oxidation of fats and reduce levels of insulin.
- Flavored Water- Slice some lemon, lime, oranges or cucumbers and add it in your water. It gives an extra sense if you find water boring. It is also rich in antioxidants.
- Hot Chocolate-cocoa, the core component in hot chocolate has more antioxidants and is linked with decreasing blood pressure and lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Milk- it is a good way to get calcium, vitamins, and minerals. It is good on cardiovascular disease, type II DM, and some cancers.
- Fruit Juice- they are the good source of vitamin C and other vitamins, antioxidants and some of the juices has antibacterial property
Travelling and road trips can be a way to free yourself from a stressful life from the city but it does not mean that you have to compromise your healthy eating. If you will plan ahead of time, then you can pack up healthy foods and drinks that you can consume along the way. So, go travel and enjoy but never forget to bring your healthy foods with you.